You Sing, I Write: Song of the Week: "Who Says"

Friday, September 25, 2009

Song of the Week: "Who Says"

Earlier today, John Mayer premiered the first single off his upcoming release, Battle Studies, on his Web site. Bringing to mind the laid back, folk-infused "Heart of Life" from his last album, Continuum, "Who Says" is an acoustic ballad with little deviation from the John Mayer sound fans know and love.

Sounding like a tongue in cheek number at first, Mayer starts off singing, "Who says I can't get stoned?" He continues, "It's been a long night in New York City/It's been a long time since 22/I don't remember you looking any better/But then again I don't remember you."

Of the track, in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, Mayer says, "When I sing it, I do not think about marijuana — I think about walking around your house naked with a guitar. It's about being in control of the pleasure in your life."

Listen to "Who Says" here.

What do you think? Do you like the new single? Look for the album in stores later this fall.

No comments:

BlogPlay

Share your links easily.